Saturday 14 March 2015

The beginning

Tomorrow sees me starting my treatment.  It should be the start of a life without relapses. There is no cure for ms, and it has not been sold as such. Rather as a 'firm boot' to keep a lid on it. The next 16 months will not be totally plain sailing as there are risks and potential side effects, but compared to a life of uncertainty when the next relapse will strike, or what lasting damage it will leave (progressively more), it is well worth it.
Lemtrada, or alemtuzumab, works by effectively stopping a large proportion of the immune system.  So for a while I will be left near defenseless against things that I would otherwise throw off with little problem.  The main thing that has been highlighted as a risk in this way is listeria, and which could lead to complications like meningitis.  I'm not keen on that, so I will be on a strick diet.  No meats or fish that has not been hot cooked, so nothing smoked, no pate, no soft cheese, nothing really tasty.  Its a shame, but I'm looking forward to the feast when I can again.

This week will see me in hospital for daily infusions. My first overnight stay since I first escaped over 35 years ago. I cant say im looking forward to it. I'm told boredom is my main enemy.  I will be trying to give daily updates, and hopefully I will be able to tell a tale that isn't nasty or scary, so anyone offered this treatment will know its worth the week in hospital and the subsequent rehab time. Saying that it won't really be rehab, just being extra careful to stay healthy. 

Being away from my family will definitely be the hardest bit. Although I'm away from them during the day at work, and the kids (should) go to bed around 7, I will really miss them. Im writing that with one kid singing at the top if his voice, and the little one standing cuddling my legs. You can't replace that. Then there is the time with my wife, precious little time after work and the essentials of living, but its the most important.  The time lying in bed at night talking just before the oblivion of sleep takes over. That is what I will miss most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment