Tuesday 28 April 2015

One Month On

Well its now one month since I finished my treatment with Alemtuzumab and I gave my first blood sample this morning.  Its been a fairly straightforward month as they go (or at least as they have gone recently).  I have not felt unwell, far from it, my recovery from the problems with my leg caused by my last relapse have been getting progressively better.  I have started going to the gym again on a fairly regular basis (3-4 times a week) and that seems to be building up my strength nicely.

I now feel confident walking decent distances (not planning on the Pennine way this week, might be busy with the 50th anniversary and all) but I did manage about a 4 mile walk, on Sunday, along the cliff tops of Whitburn, half of which with a 2 year old on my back asleep.  This is something I could not have done a month ago but I now feel confident of doing so.



Not only was the walk not a problem, but on Monday I cycled to work for the first time since mid January, a 10 mile ride (and 10 mile home) without any issue.  I am slower than before Christmas, as expected, and I did feel tired when I hot home, but it was a good sort of tired, a post exercise tired, not a fatigued drained feeling.  Sitting down for a meal with the family sorted the tiredness in my legs and today I feel no ill effects.

The blood tests today were straightforward, two vacutainers of blood for analysis and away.  The hospital are doing their best to ensure that the monthly checks don't impact upon normal life, so I had a 9am appointment, which was actually complete before 9, then off to work for a normal day.  Tomorrow I have a physio session, which I fully expect to be a final one in which they simply reassess me and say my progress is good and I should simply continue what I am doing without a need to see them again.

There have been adjustments to make, diet changes to avoid higher risk foods, not just going at life at 100mph and learning to accept help more. All that said, I feel so far the treatment has been without problem, and the only negative has been being away in hospital for a week and missing my family.

8 comments:

  1. Quick question, please can you tell me how long you were on the waiting list for lemtrada? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very fortunate and was given the treatment in a little over a month.

      Delete
  2. Wow that was quick! Which region/hospital worked that fast? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that was quick! Which region/hospital worked that fast? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I'm hoping Charing Cross have such a quick turnaround. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I'm hoping Charing Cross have such a quick turnaround. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess, any news on the turnaround for your treatment? I'm looking at a wait of nearly 3 months....bit scarily long....

      Best of luck with everything. :)

      Delete